Sunday, August 15, 2010

break-meat-fast

woohoo! veganism experiment 2010 is over! woke up salivating. bacon and eggs! milk in my coffee! meat and milk coma!

so... I made organic fair-trade coffee and had *real milk* in it. Scarfed down some of the formerly banned "salt & pepper" (and milk) peanuts while cooking the half-pack of extra-thick bacon that had been languishing in the freezer for a month, used the fat to cook 3 large farm-fresh local organic eggs, fried up an organic tomato, and then served it with salsa, a sprig of fresh basil, and some unbelievable Scottish T&T Shropshire blue cheese.

Funny thing, though (besides the actual haze I'm struggling through right now... coma coming on good and strong), I felt quite weird about the eating all that animal product again. It actually occurred to me that I could probably go vegan permanently, should I wish. I lasted a month, and though I didn't try very hard to get into the cooking, I'm sure it would get easier and more tasty.

So I think I'm gonna go middle-of-the-road; nothing like being lukewarm and sitting on the fence: I'll be a vegetarian. I loooove cheese too much and have an excellent source for local organic "ethical" eggs, and our grocer sells lots of organic milk products, many of them local since we have no less than three big dairy producers within less than 50km. It's not the perfect solution, but I think it's one I can sustain, which I really don't think is true of being vegan, particularly in a house with two other non-vegans.

2 comments:

  1. sweet, ben. this is exciting. i think you can do it! i heard it makes more difference to stop eating meat than to stop driving your car. is that true? maybe i heard it from you. lentils, beware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice photo, by the way. wish i was there.

    ReplyDelete